Tuesday, January 06, 2009

show me
a word that rhymes with pavement
and i will kill your parents
and roast them on a spit
i’d be remiss if i let the recent reissue of pavement’s “brighten the corners” pass by unrecommended. it's the fourth in matador’s super-deluxe series of pavement reissues, which have to be the best reissues of anything ever.

as the alex ross essay in the booklet notes, “a pavement album is a series of small labyrinths.” “btc”, while merely the third stoned-est pavement disc, is no different in this respect, as baffling and mellifluous as the stone cold classics that preceded it, if a bit more paranoid and professional-sounding.

the album is bizarrely hated-on in some quarters, but the reissue’s wealth of b-sides, outtakes, radio sessions and slay tracks make a pretty convincing argument for “btc’s” awesomeness. particularly great is nigh-perfect “spit on a stranger” b-side “harness your hopes,” a song that should get its own chapter in indie-pop textbooks

mp3: pavement—“harness your hopes”


p.s. r.i.p. ron asheton, without whose guitar whose guitar punk, hardcore and indie might have never existed

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, I really dig Brighten The Corners. I think the haters will probably find it rewarding in a few years' time.

I guess the inclusion of Harness Your Hopes means there will be no Terror Twilight reissue...

Funny that you should happen to post this one - at the weekend I was at my parents' house and they convinced me to take all my old singles with me that I'd left at their place - one of them being the Carrot Rope single with Harness Your Hopes on it. I was just thinking how good it would be to have it again after all these years, and was inspired to upload all the various b-sides on to my itunes.

6:14 AM  
Blogger WMCN Macalester College Radio said...

yeah a lot of the b-sides are better than like half of the album, which is pretty good to begin with. there's been a lot of speculation abt whether or not there'll be a "terror twilight" reissue, but the wikipedia page for the album predicts one in 2010 and b/w "carrot rope" and the "major leagues" ep there's still stuff in the vault.

--aaron

12:44 PM  
Blogger Geoff said...

I've never thought of the 'Ment as a stoned band, but maybe that's just because they predate my awareness of marijuana. I think BTC is the ultimate Pav't album in a way, though not my favorite anymore.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home